Take Exit 6 off I-88 to route 7. Go east 2 Miles. Enchanted Gardens is on the right. See the map on our Canoe Rental page for more details.
2975 New York RT. 7
Harpursville, New York 13787
Example of a Bare Root tree at the nursery
Enchanted Gardens offers a huge variety of Bare Root trees and shrubs. However, many of our customers don't really understand the concept of Bare Root and do not appreciate the advantages of the technique. This page will answer your questions.
What does Bare Root mean?
- Bare root trees are trees that are dug and stored without any soil around their roots.
- Trees can be bought "Bare Root," and then planted directly into the ground.
What are the advantages of planting bare root trees?
- More root mass. Bare Root trees can have up to 200% more roots than Bailed and Burlaped (B&B) or Container Grown trees.
- Lower cost. Without extra labor and materials, bare root trees will cost you about 1/3 less than traditional trees.
- Easier to bring home and plant. A young tree without soil weighs little, so it easy to transport and plant. You can easily load a 5 foot tall tree into your car to bring it home with no mess.
Are there any disadvantages?
- Less work time. Once they leave the nursery, bare root trees need to get in the ground within a week at the longest. With no soil, the roots can dry out and die if left exposed for any time. At the nursery we take special care to keep the roots moist and nourished. Once you bring your trees home we recommend planting them quickly or placing them in a tub of water if you can't plant them right away.
- Restricted availability. Some species may not be available bare root. Enchanted gardens has a wide variety of suitable species in stock throughout the planting season. Of course we also stock B&B and container grown items where appropriate.
What are the best techniques to follow for such tree planting?
- Use any technique you can to reduce the time the tree roots are bare.
- Though many claim Bare Root works best in the spring (late Mar to early May) and autumn (mid-Oct to late Nov), we have planted bare root during the whole year with great success. The science on this has been updated and we at enchanted gardens are the proof as we have done it since 1995. All that is needed is sufficient watering. In addition the use of hydrogel helps.
- Ideally Bare Root trees should be planted as soon as possible. If this is not possible, dip tree roots in a slurry of a hydrogel (a synthetic water-absorbing compound, many brands available) or muddy water, then store them in large, pleated plastic bags until planting.
- If no hydrogel is used, soak the tree roots in water for 12-24 hrs before planting.
- Keep trees covered, shaded, and moist until actually put in the ground.
Can all tree species be planted in this way?
- In theory, yes--but some species work better than others. Enchanted Gardens stocks varieties with very high success rates.
For more information on Bare Root, download this PDF brochure on Bare Root from Cornell University's Department of Horticulture.
The Bare Root lot at Enchanted Gardens.